Friends of Maddax Woods
2018 - A full year of happenings and accomplishments.
Hello Friends of Maddax Woods,
2018 was an especially busy year for the Board of the Friends of Maddax Woods (FOMW). We hope you will enjoy this review of activities and accomplishments.
* A ‘pre-application’ was submitted to the City of West Linn for the plans to build a pole barn reminiscent of Virgil Maddax’ boat building barn to be located on the foundation of the original barn.
* Heron Watch gatherings were held 8 times starting late February through May. Scopes for viewing the Goat Island heron rookery provided close-up views of the nests. The educational quality of the gatherings was enhanced with new interpretive signage and children’s activities with life-size wings and eggs. Signage was funded by an earlier grant and printing was assisted by Fed Ex.
* A picnic, hosting 3 generations of Maddax family members from California, was held in June. Stories and photos have been shared by family to enhance the legacy of this special property that Virgil and Dorothy Maddax donated to the City of West Linn for a park.
* Two bridges have been completed by the City of West Linn on the ‘Library Trail’ from the Maddax Woods parking lot to near the Hood Street parking lot of the library. Additional work continues with more railings and trail signage.
* Monthly work parties were held rain or shine the third Saturday of every month. SOLVE partners with the neighborhood volunteers to provide year-round maintenance of the garden, grounds and trails. Snacks are donated by Starbucks, Market of Choice and Safeway.
* A bench in memory of charter member Sandy Steeter has been selected and will be installed in the coming months. Additional funding for this bench provided by the West Linn Garden Club.
* Maddax Woods was one of several park locations for the City-wide Scavenger Hunt in October.
* Several new volunteers were recruited from the board participation at the Volunteer Activity Opportunity Day held at the McLean House.
* The Board established a formal relationship to use the McLean House for its monthly board meetings in exchange for helping with an activity of the Friends of McLean Park and House.
* Additional wood cutout forest creatures once seen in the Woods were added (with spot lights) bringing the total to 50 animals hidden throughout the lighted area for children of all ages to discover. A flyer includes a checklist.
The 15th year of the annual Lighting of Maddax Woods was held from mid-November through December 31. LED lights have replaced the old incandescent lights giving the displays a brighter look. Two grants were received and have been used to replace worn out incandescent lights, $1,000.00 was awarded from the City Community Grant and $1,000.00 was gifted from the Neighborhood Association when our need was made known. Additional lights festooned the caretaker house and surrounding bushes, replacing the previously lit small trees. The work parties to install the lights in November and remove them in January were well orchestrated and were treated to Franz Bakery toasted cheese bites and snacks from Starbucks, Market of Choice, and Safeway. Although no real numbers are available, the nightly attendance to view the lights strained the parking lot on the weekends but reports from new and returning visitors from near and far is overwhelmingly positive.
The Board is saddened by the loss of long-time member and past board chair, James Weaver, who passed away December 16. James had provided skilled and enthusiastic leadership for work parties and education sessions for local school children. The Board is considering the most fitting way to memorialize James’ legacy. Donations are welcome for a fund toward this effort.
The Board wants to extend its appreciation for the support and participation of all of the individuals who have contributed with time, resources or funds to the work of the Friends of Maddax Woods, without which the magic of The Woods would not continue. Also the support of the West Linn Lions, Chamber of Commerce, Tidings, Bosky Dell Natives, Rotary Club, McLean Park and House, West Linn Garden Club, Franz Bakery, Backyard Birds, Bolton Neighborhood Association, Market of Choice, Wilco, Bolton Starbucks, Safeway, Howard Ink, the Maddax house caretakers and the City of West Linn Parks and Recreation Department.
The work of Friends of Maddax Woods continues into 2019, with continued dedication to the preservation of the grounds and education of the public to the environmental and industrial history of the property. Please join us in any way you can to continue to maintain the magic of the Woods.
* Monthly Work Parties - the 3rd Saturday throughout the year, 9AM - 12Noon rain or shine
* Monthly Board Meetings - the 4th Thursday of the month, January - October at the McLean House at 7PM
* Annual Lighting of the Woods - setup mid-November and takedown mid-January
* Annual Heron Watch sessions - dates TBA, mid-February through June
* Donations for general support or specific activities are welcome: P.O. Box 481, West Linn, OR 97068
Sincerely, The Board of ‘Friends of Maddax Woods’